Subject: 23.4; garbage inserted at the beginning of the buffer when starting Emacs in a terminal on a remote machine

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 03:20:44 +0200

Start "emacs -Q" on a remote machine with a slow connection, well...
a high latency (e.g. ADSL during a file transfer). This is not always
reproducible, but I sometimes get something like:

;; This buffer is for notes you don't want to save, and for Lisp evaluation.    
;; If you want to create a file, visit that file with C-x C-f,                  
;; then enter the text in that file's own buffer.                               

0;276;0c

Moreover the first three lines are entirely red, instead of white
(and red only for the semi-colons).

I already reported the problem in the past:

  http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/16480

and it is still not fixed.

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-03-21 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11104000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Wformat-security -Werror=format-security -Wall -DDEBIAN -O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> 
<help-menu> <send-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50latex-cjk-thai.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50rnc-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50thailatex.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50w3m-el.el (source)...done
Loading /home/vinc17/share/emacs/site-lisp/mutteditor.el (source)...done
Loading time...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/css-mode/css-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/css-mode/css-mode
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-logon hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-logon
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-client hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-client
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-awesome hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-awesome
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-browse hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-browse
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-server hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-server
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-private hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-private
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-truncate hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-truncate
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-sasl
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-compose hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-compose
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-socks5 hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-socks5
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc-presence hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ahc-presence
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-feature-neg hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-feature-neg
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chat hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chat
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-history hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-history
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatbuffer hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatbuffer
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-client hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-client
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/fsm hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/fsm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-widget hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-widget
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-keymap hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-keymap
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ourversion hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ourversion
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-xml hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-xml
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-activity hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-activity
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-modeline hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-modeline
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-osd hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-osd
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-newdisco hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-newdisco
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc-nick-completion hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc-nick-completion
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-events hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-events
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-menu hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-menu
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-register hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-register
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-wmii hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-wmii
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/srv hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/srv
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-sawfish hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-sawfish
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-disco hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-disco
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-watch hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-watch
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-common hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-common
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-version hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-version
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-gmail hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-gmail
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-presence hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-presence
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard-avatars hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-vcard-avatars
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-export hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-export
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-festival hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-festival
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-time hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-time
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ratpoison hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ratpoison
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-bookmarks hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-bookmarks
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-avatar hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-avatar
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-screen
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-conn hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-conn
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-muc
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-roster hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-roster
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-keepalive hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-keepalive
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-autoaway hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-autoaway
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-alert hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-alert
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-server hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-si-server
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-util hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-util
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-iq hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-iq
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-common hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-ft-common
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatstates hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-chatstates
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-core hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-core
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-search hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-search
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-xmessage hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/emacs-jabber/jabber-xmessage
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/html-helper-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/html-helper-mode
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/hhm-config hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/hhm-config
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/tempo hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/tempo
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/visual-basic-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/visual-basic-mode
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp/cmake-data/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/html-helper-mode/tempo hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/tempo
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/sha1
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/css-mode/css-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/css-mode
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/latex-cjk-thai/thai-word hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/language/thai-word

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml easymenu
mml-sec password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse
rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util
netrc time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock
sha1 sha1-el hex-util hashcash mail-utils warnings emacsbug time
cus-start cus-load paren cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
regexp-opt w3m-load jabber-autoloads tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files
text-properties overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom
widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)