Subject: bug#11127: 24.0.94; [PATCH] Tutorial breaks with modified key bindings

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 23:58:11 -0400

"Aaron S. Hawley" wrote:

>     (dir-locals-set-class-variables
>      'unwritable-directory
>      '((nil . ((buffer-read-only . t)))))
>     (dir-locals-set-directory-class default-directory 'unwritable-directory)
>     C-h t
>
> I believe I've found a corner-case.

A very small corner I should imagine. ;)
I'll make it set buffer-read-only (back) to nil after hacking locals.

Though maybe there are other directory locals that could cause
non-standard behaviour. It's a shame there appears to be no setting for
enable-local-variables that means "respect (safe) file-locals, but
ignore directory locals".

> Although, is (hack-local-variables) really that necessary in tutorial.el?

Some of the languages set sentence-end-double-space to nil.
That appears to be it. Personally, I think this takes "translation" a
bit too far, but without the local setting the sentence motion commands
don't work correctly. (Though I don't recall ever seeing this reported
as a bug, and prior to 24 local variables were not respected in the
tutorial.)

I also think any Local Variables section should be removed from the
displayed tutorial buffer.