Subject: bug#11113: 23.3; Access to the mini-buffer in auctex mode triggers window resize in KDE (Kwin)

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2024 07:43:45 -0400

[Fixed the subject here to not include Tristan's name.  It was added by
me on accident; sorry.]

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> A window manager's creatively interpreting (read: failing to observe)
>> geometry hints specified by a client is deficient behavior on the window
>> manager's part, so the least they could have done should have been
>> declining to play "shift the blame."  As enforcing window management
>> properties otherwise than the client requested was a KWin bug then, so
>> it is now, whether they admit it or not, and until they leave their high
>> pedestal Emacs users might easily circumvent it by configuring
>> `frame-resize-pixelwise' to t.
>
> BTW, it might interest them to know that the wm-spec defines
> maximization in quite express terms:
>
>   Maximization is a very old feature of window managers. There was even
>   a ZoomedState in early ICCCM drafts.  Maximizing a window should give
>   it as much of the screen area as possible (this may not be the full
>      --------------------------------------
>   screen area, but only a smaller 'workarea', since the window manager
>   may have reserved certain areas for other windows).  A window manager
>   is expected to remember the geometry of a maximized window and restore
>   it upon de-maximization.  Modern window managers typically allow
>   separate horizontal and vertical maximization.
>
> Emphasis mine.  By any reasonable interpretation, the window manager
> should disregard resize increments in resizing maximized windows, and
> indeed as far as I'm aware, KWin's design choices have been emulated by
> no other conforming window manager.

Thanks, could someone please contact them about this?

Does this affect all KDE users?  If so, that sounds like a pretty nasty
bug.  Is there any feasible workaround that we could do on our end?