Subject: bug#11113: [Tristan Miller] Re: bug#11113: 23.3; Access to the mini-buffer in auctex mode triggers window resize in KDE (Kwin)

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Jun 2024 21:46:31 +0800

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> As noted upthread, the problem was previously reported as a kwin bug on
> the KDE issue tracker at <https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=252314>.
> A fix to kwin was applied in 2011, nearly immediately followed by a
> regression, followed by another fix in 2013, followed by another
> regression in 2020.  I have been able to reproduce the problem
> consistently since 2020.  Today the KDE developers have decided that the
> bug is a problem with Emacs, not kwin, and have closed their bug report.
>
> Could an Emacs developer please have a look at the KDE bug report and
> determine whether there's anything in Emacs itself that can or should be
> fixed?  I can provide further information if necessary and/or help test
> a fix.

A window manager's creatively interpreting (read: failing to observe)
geometry hints specified by a client is deficient behavior on the window
manager's part, so the least they could have done should have been
declining to play "shift the blame."  As enforcing window management
properties otherwise than the client requested was a KWin bug then, so
it is now, whether they admit it or not, and until they leave their high
pedestal Emacs users might easily circumvent it by configuring
`frame-resize-pixelwise' to t.