Subject: Re: bug#11102: 24.0.94; C-x C-c from a client frame sometimes kills the whole Emacs process

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 21:18:43 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The issue which Dani and Juanma were talking about is a separate one:
>> for a graphical Emacs on Windows, "emacsclient -c -n foo.txt" ought to
>> create a new frame with a `client' parameter, so that C-x C-c exits
>> Emacs instead of closing just that frame.
>
> Now I'm completely confused: didn't you say that "C-x C-c" should
> _not_ exit Emacs in this case?

Sorry, I miswrote.  Indeed, C-x C-c should _not_ exit Emacs in that
case.

> Why does it make sense to have "-c -n" behave differently from
> "-t -n"?

The "-t -n" case is an abberation; emacsclient could even signal an
error for that, because it is saying "open on this text terminal, but
don't wait", which is nonsensical.  The current behavior, of opening on
another text terminal, is a fudge---and one that doesn't work for the
Emacs daemon.  For that reason, the discrepancy you point out is not
important.