Subject: bug#11102: 24.0.94; C-x C-c from a client frame sometimes kills the whole Emacs process

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 18:33:39 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Try doing this with Emacs built --without-x

Hmm, what I get with --without-x is

1. emacs -Q -nw -f server-start
2. emacsclient -c -n foo.txt
*ERROR*: Don't know how to create a frame on window system x

so I guess some more intelligent error handling is needed here.  If I
use "-t -n foo.txt", then (as I noted in my earlier email) the file is
opened in the existing Emacs terminal frame.  I'll see what I can do
about these issues, but they are basically not urgent to fix for 24.1.

The issue which Dani and Juanma were talking about is a separate one:
for a graphical Emacs on Windows, "emacsclient -c -n foo.txt" ought to
create a new frame with a `client' parameter, so that C-x C-c exits
Emacs instead of closing just that frame.  That is the intended
behavior, which is also the behavior on GNU/Linux when there is a
graphical display available.  I think the patch I posted earlier should
DTRT for Windows, if you or Juanma can try it.