Subject: bug#11102: 24.0.94; C-x C-c from a client frame sometimes kills the whole Emacs process

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:36:45 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 12:55:10 +0800
> 
> I've updated the manual to improve the description of this.  Is it clear
> enough now?

Let's wait with the ``clear'' part until we have a complete
understanding what is or should be the correct behavior; see my other
mail.

But I do know that what you wrote is inaccurate for MS-Windows.  In
this part:

  On GNU and Unix systems, Emacs can create a graphical frame even if it
  was started in a text-only terminal, provided it is able to connect to
  a graphical display.  On systems such as MS-Windows, it cannot create
  graphical frames if it was started from a text terminal
  (@pxref{Windows Startup, emacsclient}).  If Emacs cannot connect to a
  graphical display for any reason, it instead creates a new client
  frame on the text terminal from which you invoked
  @command{emacsclient} (@pxref{Non-Window Terminals}).

the last sentence tells something that doesn't happen on Windows.  The
new client frame is created on the text terminal where _Emacs_ was
invoked, not where emacsclient was invoked.  On Windows, a program can
have only one console at any given time, so Emacs cannot open a text
frame on a different console.