Subject: bug#11102: 24.0.94; C-x C-c from a client frame sometimes kills the whole Emacs process

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2012 16:17:07 +0800

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> With the -c option, a client frame is created, so C-x C-c should delete
>> the frame without killing the main Emacs session, whether or not there
>> is an -n option.
>
> This seems to imply that using "emacsclient -c -n FILE" on a Posix
> host should _not_ kill emacs when "C-x C-c" is typed.  And yet in my
> testing, it does, with the emacs-24 branch built just now, when the
> server runs in a TTY session.  Are you saying that the effect of -n
> depends also on whether the server runs in a TTY session?

That's not what I see with latest emacs-24 branch
(x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu):

1. emacs -Q -nw -f server-start
2. [in another xterm]   emacsclient -c -n foo.txt
3. [in the new X frame] C-x C-c

  => frame is deleted, but Emacs session is still alive

I do see a discrepancy with "emacsclient -t -n foo.txt"; in that
(slightly ill-defined) case, the -n negates the -t causing the edits to
be made in the existing Emacs terminal frame.  But that doesn't seem to
be what you're referring to.