Subject: bug#11091: closed (Re: bug#11091: 24.0.94; emacsclient -t)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:56:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11091: 24.0.94; emacsclient -t

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11091: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11091
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11091: 24.0.94; emacsclient -t
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:54:10 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 00:49:02 +0200
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
> 
> >> The manual currently has many of such explanations, e.g., in that same
> >> info node "(emacs)emacsclient Options":
> >
> > You're right. Could you please send a patch?
> 
> What about this one?

Thanks, I committed a slightly different description (trunk revision
107710), and I'm closing this bug.

Subject: 24.0.94; emacsclient -t
From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 00:10:43 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

>From a cmd.exe terminal:
* emacs -Q
* M-x server-start RET

Then, from another cmd.exe terminal:
* emacsclient -t some-file

According to the manual [1], the expected behavior would be to open
"some-file" in a new frame inside the second terminal, but I see that
a new graphical frame is created instead.

Also, if I repeat the experiment starting with "emacs -Q -nw", the
effect is that a new frame is created in the first terminal, when TRT
would be to create the frame in the second terminal.

--- Footnotes ------

[1] Quotation from (info "(emacs) emacsclient Options")

  `-t'
  `--tty'
  `-nw'
       Create a new Emacs frame on the current text-only terminal,
       instead of using an existing Emacs frame.  Emacs can open a
       text-only terminal even if it was started in another text-only
       terminal, or on a graphical display.  If you omit a filename
       argument while supplying this option, the new frame displays the
       `*scratch*' buffer.  *Note Buffers::.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-03-23 on DANI-PC
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -IC:/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.16/include -IC:/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libpng-1.4.10 -IC:/emacs/libs/libxpm-3.5.8/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libxpm-3.5.8/src -IC:/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/zlib-1.2.6'

-- 
Dani Moncayo