Subject: bug#1108: 23.0.60; conversion bugs of rx.el

From: "Shigeru Fukaya" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 23:02:28 +0900

Hello,

rx.el of the latest Emacs (23.0.60) has several problems.
I fixed them and attach a tar file including the following.

   rx.diff     - diff file
   rx-new.el   - new replacement of rx.el (as many changes)
   rx-test.el  - for simple output of original and fixed
   RX.txt      - test output of mine (not by the above)
   Changelog

Fixed problems are as follows:

* (NOT CHAR-CLASS-SYMBOL) cause an error.

   (rx (not word))      => (error "rx `not' syntax error: word")
   (rx (not digit))     => (error "rx `not' syntax error: digit")

* "^" in ANY produce a unnecessary escape or incorrect result.

   (rx (any "^"))       => "[\\^]"
   (rx (not (any "^"))) => "[^\\^]"
   (rx (any ?^ ?a))     => "[\\^a]"
   (rx (any ?a ?^))     => "[a\\^]"

* "]", "-" in ANY produce incorrect result.

   (rx (any ?- ?a ?\]))			=> "[]-a]"
   (rx (any "--]"))	   => "[]--]"

* NOT-NOT-ANY produce incorrect result for special characters.

   (rx (not (not (any ".")))) => "."

* NOT-WORDCHAR is incorrectly treated as character class.
  NOT-WORDCHAR should not be defined as a character class.

   (rx (any ascii not-wordchar)) => "[[:ascii:]^[:word:]]"

* ANY accept syntax symbols and produce an senseless result.

   (rx (any symbol-start symbol-end))  => "[__]"
   (rx (any word-boundary))            => "[]"

* NOT-NOT to symbol produce an incorrect result.

   (rx (not (not word-boundary)))      => "[^\\B]"
   (rx (not (not (syntax word))))      => "[^\\Sw]"

* Rx produce unnecessary shy groups easily.

   (rx (or (and "a" "b") (and "b" "c"))) =>
				    "\\(?:\\(?:ab\\)\\|\\(?:bc\\)\\)"

* ANYTHING always produce shy groups even when unnecessary.

   (rx anything)	      => "\\(?:.\\|\n\\)"
   (rx (or anything "abc"))   => "\\(?:\\(?:.\\|\n\\)\\|abc\\)"

* NO-GROUP in `rx-to-string' doesn't work as documented, or is
  ambiguously defined.

   (rx-to-string "ab" t)               => "ab"
   (rx-to-string "ab" nil)             => "ab"
   (rx-to-string '(and "a" "b") t)     => "\\(?:ab\\)"
   (rx-to-string '(and "a" "b") nil)   => "\\(?:ab\\)"

Regards,
Shigeru