Subject: master: Small typos in TAP documentation

From: Tim Landscheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:46:35 +0000

Hi,

the attached patch fixes some small typos in the TAP docu-
mentation.  The latter also contains one unfinished sen-
tence that the former marks with FIXME.

Tim
>From dd7dcf17962f9987b0558c2c2cec6456d173b255 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Tim Landscheidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:41:19 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] Fix some small typos.

* doc/automake.texi (Using the TAP test protocol): Here ...
* tests/tap-doc2.test: ... and here.
---
 doc/automake.texi   |   15 ++++++++-------
 tests/tap-doc2.test |    2 +-
 2 files changed, 9 insertions(+), 8 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/automake.texi b/doc/automake.texi
index 3bb365b..ef65d8d 100644
--- a/doc/automake.texi
+++ b/doc/automake.texi
@@ -9588,7 +9588,7 @@ use TAP in their testsuite.
 
 Currently, the TAP driver that comes with Automake requires some by-hand
 steps on the developer's part (this situation should hopefully be improved
-in future Automake versions).  You'll have grab the @file{tap-driver.sh}
+in future Automake versions).  You'll have to grab the @file{tap-driver.sh}
 script from the Automake distribution by hand, copy it in your source tree,
 add a call to @code{AC_PROG_AWK} in @file{configure.ac} to search for a
 proper awk program, and use the Automake support for third-party test
@@ -9605,12 +9605,13 @@ compatibility with the @command{prove} utility.
 @c Keep in sync with 'tap-exit.test' and 'tap-signal.test'.
 @item --ignore-exit
 Causes the test driver to ignore the exit status of the test scripts;
-by default, the driver will report an error if the script exit with a
+by default, the driver will report an error if the script exits with a
 non-zero status.  This option has effect also
+@c FIXME: The sentence above has no end.
 @item --comments
 Instruct the test driver to display TAP diagnostic (i.e., lines beginning
 with the @samp{#} character) in the testsuite progress output too; by
-default, TAP diagnostic is only copied in the @file{.log} file.
+default, TAP diagnostic is only copied to the @file{.log} file.
 @item --no-comments
 Revert the effects of @option{--comments}.
 @item --merge
@@ -9628,7 +9629,7 @@ Revert the effects of @option{--merge}.
 Change the string that introduces TAP diagnostic from the default value
 of ``@code{#}'' to @code{@var{STRING}}.  This can be useful if your
 TAP-based test scripts produce verbose output on which they have limited
-control (because, say, the output comes by other tools invoked in the
+control (because, say, the output comes from other tools invoked in the
 scripts), and it might contain text that gets spuriously interpreted as
 TAP diagnostic: such an issue can be solved by redefining the string that
 activates TAP diagnostic to a value you know won't appear by chance in
@@ -9678,7 +9679,7 @@ echo 'ok 3 - This will not be seen.'
 #!/bin/sh
 echo 1..1
 echo ok 1
-# Exit with error, even if all the test case has been successful.
+# Exit with error, even if all the tests have been successful.
 exit 7
 
 % @kbd{cp @var{PREFIX}/share/automake-@var{APIVERSION}/tap-driver.pl .}
@@ -9724,13 +9725,13 @@ mainstream versions, which you should be aware of.
 @itemize @bullet
 @item
 A @code{Bail out!} directive doesn't stop the whole testsuite, but only
-the test script it occurs into.  This doesn't follows TAP specifications,
+the test script it occurs in.  This doesn't follow TAP specifications,
 but on the other hand it maximizes compatibility (and code sharing) with
 the ``hard error'' concept of the default @option{parallel-tests} driver.
 @item
 The @code{version} and @code{pragma} directives are not supported.
 @item
-The @option{--diagnostic-string} option of out driver allows to modify
+The @option{--diagnostic-string} option of our driver allows to modify
 the string that introduces TAP diagnostic from the default value
 of ``@code{#}''.  The standard TAP protocol has currently no way to
 allow this, so if you use it your diagnostic will be lost to more
diff --git a/tests/tap-doc2.test b/tests/tap-doc2.test
index 4946a2c..76e1ade 100755
--- a/tests/tap-doc2.test
+++ b/tests/tap-doc2.test
@@ -62,7 +62,7 @@ cat > baz.test <<'END'
 #!/bin/sh
 echo 1..1
 echo ok 1
-# Exit with error, even if all the test case has been successful.
+# Exit with error, even if all the tests have been successful.
 exit 7
 END
 
-- 
1.6.2.5