Subject: bug#11075: 24.0.94; Arabic character composition

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 09:33:22 +0300

> Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2019 22:39:37 +0100
> From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 09:04:10AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > What are the problems that prevent getting HarfBuzz to work in the
> > GNUstep port?  I think we want all the major supported platforms to be
> > able to build with HarfBuzz, since many modern features related to
> > sophisticated text shaping and display to be developed for Emacs will
> > be based on HarfBuzz facilities.
> 
> I’m not aware of any fundamental problems, I think someone just needs
> to write the code.

Most of the code is already in hbfont.c, you just need the
platform-specific glue, of which there are several examples in the
repository.

I hope someone will write this code, so that we could have HarfBuzz
supported on all major platforms.

Thanks.