Subject: bug#11075: 24.0.94; Arabic character composition

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:39:41 +0200

> Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:23:11 +0100
> From: Joost Kremers <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > Unless you build Emacs with a library that supports Arabic shaping,
> > you won't be able to have it.  Does OS X offer such a library?
> 
> I don't know, but I suspect it does, because Arabic text is displayed
> correctly in e.g. TextEdit.

Well, maybe you can find out what that libraries are and how to link
against them, then we could include the necessary instructions in
Emacs.

> > Can't libotf be compiled on OS X?
> 
> I haven't tried, but since it's part of both Fink and MacPorts, I suspect
> it can.

If you try that, please be sure to build all the libraries mentioned
in INSTALL under "Complex Text Layout support libraries".

> Anyway, just let me know if I can help.

I don't have access to OS X, so if you could build libotf and the
other libraries mentioned in INSTALL and see if that gets you Arabic
shaping, that'd be nice.  Thanks in advance.