Subject: bug#11072: Display of glyphless non-spacing modifiers via a static composition

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2019 00:13:16 +0100

Simon Tatham <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I found this bug report a few months ago when I was looking to see if
> anyone had had the same problem as me. I too found that if VMware
> Player had input focus when emacs started up, then emacs would never
> recognise the Alt key.
>
> Debugging with xtruss suggested that the reason for this was that
> emacs queried the modifier map at startup, found it empty, and
> thereafter listened for MappingNotify in order to know when to reload
> the mod map but for some reason it never received any MappingNotify
> events. (But it did receive the similar XkbMapNotify when vmware lost
> or gained focus.)
>
> That was on Ubuntu 10.04. The machine where I was seeing the problem
> has recently been upgraded to 12.04, and now the problem has stopped
> happening - on the same version of emacs. Debugging with xtruss shows
> that now emacs _is_ receiving MappingNotify, suggesting that the X
> server has changed its behaviour.
>
> I suspect, in fact, that the following X.Org commit is the fix:
>
>   http://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/commit/?id=3231962db826f5efd431596a309c96e907a191d1
>
> which appeared in xorg-server 1.11, which would indeed be consistent
> with me having this problem in Ubuntu 10.04 but not 12.04 (which use
> xorg-server versions 1.7.6 and 1.11.4 respectively).
>
> So if anyone else still has this problem, it might be worth letting
> them know to check the version of their X server.
>
> Hope this is helpful!

Thanks, that is helpful.  It seems like this is not a bug in Emacs then?
Hans, can you confirm if using a newer version of xorg-server fixes the
problem?

If I don't hear back from you within a couple of weeks, Ill just assume
that this has been fixed and close this bug.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas