Subject: bug#11070: 24.0.94; Large stippled images not displayed consistently

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 19:33:14 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> (face-remap-add-relative 'default
>> '(:stipple "/path/to/large/image.jpg"))
[...]
> I cannot reproduce this.  In fact, evaluating the first sexp has no
> effect here.  Perhaps stipple using an image is not supported on
> MS-Windows?

No effect on GNU/Linux either, just an error message:

   Invalid or undefined bitmap `/path/to/b-rock-grey.jpg' [3 times]

Are arbitrary image formats such as jpgs supported for the stipple
attribute? If I do:

(face-remap-add-relative 'default
 '(:stipple "/usr/include/X11/bitmaps/xsnow"))

then something happens.

"Face Attributes" in the lispref says:

`:stipple'
     The background stipple, a bitmap.

     The value can be a string; that should be the name of a file
     containing external-format X bitmap data.  The file is found in
     the directories listed in the variable `x-bitmap-file-path'.

Maybe the Nextstep port "supports" other stipple types...