Subject: Re: bug#11068: 24.0.94; Face-remapped background does not extend to end of window

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:42:59 +0300

> Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 12:14:37 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], 
>  [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>  > The value says for which buffer positions to display the cursor
>  > there.  If the value is an integer number, the cursor is displayed
>  > there when the buffer position is between N and N + n, where n is the
>  > value of the property and N is the overlay-start position.  If the
>  > value is anything else and non-nil, the cursor is displayed there only
>  > when point is at overlay-start.
> 
> I see that now.  It's not intuitive for me why I would want such
> behavior (and it apparently doesn't work for negative numbers) but I
> suppose it's needed by cua.

You need this if you want a tight control on cursor position for
several buffer positions.

> So the documentation is correct (once you
> understand how it works ;-) ) just that the following part
> 
>       it specifies the number of buffer's
>       character positions associated with the overlay string;
> 
> is misleading.  Maybe "associated with" could become "affected by"?

I see no difference between "associated with" and "affected by", they
are both equally obscure.  I think I wrote that when I myself didn't
have a clear notion of what that number means.  I will try to come up
with a clearer wording, thanks for pointing this out.