Subject: bug#11067: closed (Re: bug#11067: 24.0.94.1; diff-buffer-with-file)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 08:30:03 +0000

Your bug report

#11067: diff-no-select assumes diff-command understands -L option

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11067: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11067
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11067: 24.0.94.1; diff-buffer-with-file
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2013 03:29:10 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.4

Fixed.

Subject: 24.0.94.1; diff-buffer-with-file
From: Arni Magnusson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 14:54:16 +0000 (UTC)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I'm running Emacs 24.0.94.1 alpha,

http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-20120319-r107630-bin-i386.zip

and `diff-buffer-with-file' is not working like it did in Emacs 23.4.1

1. Start emacs -Q
2. Set `diff-command' to "winmerge" and `diff-switches' to nil
3. Open a file, say c:/gnu/emacs/BUGS, make some changes without saving
4. M-x diff-buffer-with-file

Emacs 23.4.1 performs this task very nicely, but Emacs 24.0.94.1 alpha 
provides the external program with args that cannot be compared:

   c:\gnu\emacs\-L
   c:\gnu\emacs\BUGS

Examining the Emacs *Diff* buffer provides some insights. In Emacs 23.4.1 
it contains

   winmerge "c:/gnu/emacs/BUGS" "c:/Temp/buffer-content-3436L7C"

which looks sensible, but in Emacs 24.0.94.1 alpha it the *Diff* buffer 
contains

   winmerge "-L" "c:/gnu/emacs/BUGS" "-L" "#<buffer BUGS>" 
"c:/gnu/emacs/BUGS" "c:/Temp/buffer-content-2640boz"

which looks like 6 args instead of 2, including some "-L" options (even 
after specifically disabling all diff switches) and "#<buffer BUGS>" 
(probably of no use to an external program).

To me, it looks like version 24.0.94.1 of `diff-buffer-with-file' in 
diff.el should try harder to mimic the behavior of version 23.4.1 in 
files.el.

Many thanks,

Arni