Subject: bug#11067: 24.0.94.1; diff-buffer-with-file

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:49:50 -0400

>> in Emacs 24.0.94.1 alpha it the *Diff* buffer contains
>> 
>> winmerge "-L" "c:/gnu/emacs/BUGS" "-L" "#<buffer BUGS>"
>> "c:/gnu/emacs/BUGS" "c:/Temp/buffer-content-2640boz"

> Semi-related:

> I was wondering why I could not find "-L" in diff's help output or
> man-page, then I found:

> http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?35267

>     Currently CVS uses GNU diff's -L option. That option has been
>     undocumented since diffutils 2.8 (released in March 2002) and the
>     option is intended to be replaced sometime soon with a different
>     meaning.

>     Can you please fix CVS so that it uses "diff --label" instead of
>     "diff -L"? That will make CVS immune to this planned change.

Hmm... interesting.  I found the -L in Debian's Info page and it's still
there in Debian's "diffutils-1:3.2-2".  So either it's a local addition
done by Debian, or the -L is actually documented.

...hmmm... well line 3828 of
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/diffutils.git/tree/doc/diffutils.texi
shows that it's documented in diffutils.

        Stefan