Subject: Re: bug#11065: 24.0.94; Problem with tramp & plink

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 08:48:39 +0100

Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Lennart,

> Just a thought: Is not plink the "standard" way to communicate this
> way with Emacs on w32?

The problem is not related to plink. It can happen for every Tramp
connection using a remote shell, and the remote shell's prompt is
composed by "[]".

> Should perhaps this solution be documented somewhere?

Customizing `tramp-shell-prompt-pattern' is documented in the Tramp manual.

> (Or even implemented as a choice on w32?)

`tramp-shell-prompt-pattern' is derived from `shell-prompt-pattern'.
Both do not support "[]" style prompts, because shell script fragments like

    if [ -n "$FOO" ]

would be treated as prompt. OTOH, Tramp redefines the prompt immediately
after connection, so it might be safe to add this prompt style (as I
have recommended to Dani).

I will check the Tramp sources, whether there are other potential
conflicts. If there is no obvious problem, I'll extend
`tramp-shell-prompt-pattern' in the trunk such a way, once it has been
reopened for 24.2. Let's see, whether somebody rants about.

Best regards, Michael.