Subject: Re: bug#11064: CRITICAL: libtool makes static linking impossible

From: Peter O'Gorman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 10:45:06 -0500

Hello,

On 03/21/2012 11:49 PM, [email-masked] wrote:
> Recent versions of libtool (since at least 2.2.6) hijack the -static
> flag to the compiler and use it to link only project-local libraries
> static (i.e. still generating a dynamic-linked binary). Supposedly the
> -all-static option is provided to override this behavior, but it is
> not usable in any real-world programs because adding -all-static to
> CFLAGS or LDFLAGS prevents all configure tests that invoke the
> compiler/linker without libtool from working due to the unrecognized
> option.
>
> As far as I can tell, there is no workaround and abolutely no way to
> static-link libtool-based projects without patching libtool.

does:
./configure CC='gcc -static' CXX='g++ -static' ...

work around this for you?

I think the -static, -all-static etc libtool flags were meant for 
Makefiles, not really for user LDFLAGS.

Peter