Subject: 24.0.94; emacs hangs

From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:45:24 -0400

The second time in as many days I encounter a weird behavior which I can
only get out of using kill -9.
I run emacs under gdb and all of a sudden it stops responding.
C-z and C-c in gdb also do nothing(!)
There are 2(!) emacs processes in top:

17196 sds       20   0  349m  80m  11m D    0  1.0   4:18.84 emacs
24429 sds       20   0  349m  80m  11m t    0  1.0   0:00.00 emacs
17124 sds       20   0 99420  49m  10m S    0  0.6   0:20.61 gdb

the D is in do_fork; the t is in ptrace_stop; the S is in do_wait

kill -15 does nothing; loadavg is at 1 - until I kill them with -9.

I know this is not enough to debug the problem, but maybe you could at
least tell me what I can do the next time this happens.

Oh, and how I got into this mess: I _think_ I hit "g" in a dired buffer
several times in a row.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-03-19 on t520sds
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-wide-int''

Minor modes in effect:
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 vc-hg mail-extr gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap
gnus-sum gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums dired
midnight autoloads gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua
bbdb-com mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb timezone server uniquify warnings
which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp gnus-util password-cache url-vars
mm-util mail-prsvr paren help-at-pt cus-start cus-load ido ess-toolbar
ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a
executable shell pcomplete ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d
ess-sp3-d ess-r-d ess-tracebug advice advice-preload compile
ess-developer ess-r-args assoc eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess-inf ess-utils
comint ansi-color ring ess-mode noweb-mode ess ess-custom regexp-opt
easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://mideasttruth.com http://palestinefacts.org
http://openvotingconsortium.org http://honestreporting.com http://pmw.org.il
Volume(Pizza of radius Z and thickness A) = PI * Z * Z * A