Subject: bug#11050: closed (Re: bug#11050: 24.0.94; emacs hangs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 06 May 2020 23:48:02 +0000

Your bug report

#11050: 24.0.94; emacs hangs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
11050: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11050
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#11050: 24.0.94; emacs hangs
From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
To: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 6 May 2020 19:47:11 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:

> Sam Steingold <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> The second time in as many days I encounter a weird behavior which I can
>> only get out of using kill -9.
>> I run emacs under gdb and all of a sudden it stops responding.
>> C-z and C-c in gdb also do nothing(!)
>> There are 2(!) emacs processes in top:
>>
>> 17196 sds       20   0  349m  80m  11m D    0  1.0   4:18.84 emacs
>> 24429 sds       20   0  349m  80m  11m t    0  1.0   0:00.00 emacs
>> 17124 sds       20   0 99420  49m  10m S    0  0.6   0:20.61 gdb
>>
>> the D is in do_fork; the t is in ptrace_stop; the S is in do_wait
>>
>> kill -15 does nothing; loadavg is at 1 - until I kill them with -9.
>>
>> I know this is not enough to debug the problem, but maybe you could at
>> least tell me what I can do the next time this happens.
>>
>> Oh, and how I got into this mess: I _think_ I hit "g" in a dired buffer
>> several times in a row.
>
> That was 7 years ago.  Are you still seeing this on a modern version
> of Emacs?

More information was requested, but none was given within 9 weeks, so
I'm closing this bug.

If this is still an issue, please reply to this email (use "Reply to
all" in your email client) and we can reopen the bug report.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

Subject: 24.0.94; emacs hangs
From: Sam Steingold <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 12:45:24 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The second time in as many days I encounter a weird behavior which I can
only get out of using kill -9.
I run emacs under gdb and all of a sudden it stops responding.
C-z and C-c in gdb also do nothing(!)
There are 2(!) emacs processes in top:

17196 sds       20   0  349m  80m  11m D    0  1.0   4:18.84 emacs
24429 sds       20   0  349m  80m  11m t    0  1.0   0:00.00 emacs
17124 sds       20   0 99420  49m  10m S    0  0.6   0:20.61 gdb

the D is in do_fork; the t is in ptrace_stop; the S is in do_wait

kill -15 does nothing; loadavg is at 1 - until I kill them with -9.

I know this is not enough to debug the problem, but maybe you could at
least tell me what I can do the next time this happens.

Oh, and how I got into this mess: I _think_ I hit "g" in a dired buffer
several times in a row.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-03-19 on t520sds
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-wide-int''

Minor modes in effect:
  which-function-mode: t
  url-handler-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Features:
(shadow sort bbdb-message mailalias cookie1 vc-hg mail-extr gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap
gnus-sum gnus-demon nntp gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source nnoo
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win emacsbug message
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums dired
midnight autoloads gnus gnus-ems nnheader mail-utils wid-edit bbdb-mua
bbdb-com mailabbrev bbdb-loaddefs bbdb timezone server uniquify warnings
which-func imenu url-handlers url-parse auth-source eieio byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp gnus-util password-cache url-vars
mm-util mail-prsvr paren help-at-pt cus-start cus-load ido ess-toolbar
ess-mouse mouseme thingatpt browse-url ess-menu ess-swv ess-noweb
noweb-font-lock-mode ess-bugs-l essd-els ess-sas-d ess-sas-l ess-sas-a
executable shell pcomplete ess-arc-d ess-vst-d ess-xls-d ess-lsp-l
ess-sta-d ess-sta-l cc-vars cc-defs make-regexp ess-sp6-d ess-sp5-d
ess-sp3-d ess-r-d ess-tracebug advice advice-preload compile
ess-developer ess-r-args assoc eldoc help-fns ess-s-l ess-inf ess-utils
comint ansi-color ring ess-mode noweb-mode ess ess-custom regexp-opt
easymenu ess-compat ess-site cl time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)

-- 
Sam Steingold (http://sds.podval.org/) on Ubuntu 11.10 (oneiric) X 11.0.11004000
http://www.childpsy.net/ http://mideasttruth.com http://palestinefacts.org
http://openvotingconsortium.org http://honestreporting.com http://pmw.org.il
Volume(Pizza of radius Z and thickness A) = PI * Z * Z * A