Subject: bug#11044: only an RFE now (was bug & RFE)

From: Bruce Korb <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:16:57 -0700

Hi Jim,

The bug was the sym link issue on the web site, since corrected.

On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Jim Meyering <[email-masked]> wrote:
> If no one replies after a few days, it's best to presume
> that your message requires more than casual feedback, and
> that those inclined to provide feedback have not found time.

Sorry.  I was getting antsy because days were becoming weeks.

> The number of conditions in the above description is a red flag.

I didn't really like the maybe-its-a-number-maybe-a-file thingy either.
I did it because someone asked me to make it more BSD compatible.
I chose to then add that compatibility rather than go extra review rounds.
Oh, well.  The number of conditions was to avoid a "fmt 72" problem
when there was a file named "72".  BSD (and Plan9?) is less careful.

> Adding a new goal-specifying option sounds fine,

I'll strip down the patch.

> IMHO, it is best not to emulate such an interface.

Let's not get into vehement agreement on this and just agree to agree.

> - the fmt patch is incomplete (no doc, news, tests)

No news and no tests, but the doc was there.

Cheers - Bruce