Subject: bug#11042: [O] bug#11042: 24.0.94; dangerous org manual: parse-time-months and parse-time-weekdays

From: Bastien <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 22:46:55 +0100

Hi Michael,

I removed the part of `org-read-date' docstring about
`parse-time-weekdays' and `parse-time-months'.  You're right
that this can lead too errors.

Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]> writes:

> The thread is not completely visible in google groups, dunno why.
> Please read at gnu.emacs.gnus with a newsreader.

Done.

> The problem was that the user replaced the English names with German
> names - instead of adding them to the lists.  This broke Gnus.

Chances are that this will break Org too.

> At least, the documentation in the org manual _must_ be improved, so
> that the user is enabled to do the right thing without breaking anything
> else.

Done.

>> Org heavily depends on parse-time.el.  Providing a defcustom in Org
>> that is tied to parse-time.el at the same time is not trivial.
>
> Why not?  You could just write a function `org-parse-time-string' that
> binds `parse-time-months' and `parse-time-weekdays' accordingly and
> calls `parse-time-string'.  Then you would just need to call this new
> function from org code.

Actually, there is already `org-parse-time-string', which does not rely
on `parse-time-string' at all.  Org relies on `parse-time-string'
through `org-read-date', a core command of Org.  

Thanks,

-- 
 Bastien