Subject: Re: bug#11039: 24.0.94; Window incorrectly getting selected

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 13:57:23 +0100

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 10:05, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:

> You seem to be assuming that the user wants to dismiss the help window
> immediately, but I don't think that that's a justified assumption.  When
> writing Emacs Lisp code, for instance, I like to leave one window open
> for the *Help* buffer, and this behavior keeps switching me out of the
> code buffer.

OTOH, dismissing the help window automatically is what I do like 95%
of the time, because I mostly want to remember some detail I've
forgotten. In fact, until Martin's new window stuff I used ehelp to
make it easier, and resorted to exiting the electric loop in the few
cases that I really wanted to keep the help window around. Now I have
an entry in `display-buffer-alist' that calls an action function of my
own to autoselect all \*Help(.*) windows, regardless of the setting of
`help-window-select' (and I'm quite glad of getting rid of ehelp).

Which is to say, the "display help / take a look / dismiss at once"
pattern isn't unheard of.

    Juanma