Subject: Re: bug#11039: 24.0.94; Window incorrectly getting selected

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 11:57:08 +0100

> IMO, this is a very inconsistent interface.  Help windows ought to stick
 > closely to the default `display-buffer' behavior.  I don't see why they
 > should be treated so differently from other "display XYZ in another
 > window" commands.  In fact, the default `other' value seems like the
 > worst of all worlds.
 >
 > You seem to be assuming that the user wants to dismiss the help window
 > immediately, but I don't think that that's a justified assumption.  When
 > writing Emacs Lisp code, for instance, I like to leave one window open
 > for the *Help* buffer, and this behavior keeps switching me out of the
 > code buffer.

At the time I wrote this there were many complaints that quitting help
is messy and I tried to address that.  So if you really want to change
something, you might consider a solution where we don't select a help
window when it got reused.  Aynthing else will throw off people who get
help in a new window and want to get rid of that window easily.

martin