Subject: bug#11035: 24.0.94; icomplete with multiline candidates and standalone minibuffer

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 14:43:32 -0700

> So why isn't count-screen-lines what you need?

[Use of `count-screen-lines' has nothing to do with the text you quoted, BTW.
That (bug #7822 and associated emacs-devel discussion) is about having
`fit-window-to-buffer' take display artifacts into account.  And it is about
having a function that gives you both the width and height of the buffer as
displayed.]

But yes, I can use `count-screen-lines' to fix the resizing problem for the
minibuffer frame height (second part of this bug).  I wasn't aware of that
function.  And it's OK that it's not available for some older releases, because
in those releases icomplete does not use overlays.  Thank you for pointing out
`count-screen-lines'.

Without your C-source fix for the cursor placement, after fitting the frame
according to `count-screen-lines', the cursor ends up displayed at the end of
the overlay, which is worse than the behavior described in the bug report.  But
hopefully with your C fix we will be able to close this bug.  I will let you
know when I can get hold of a new Windows binary and see.

Thx.