Subject: Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 22:29:21 +0200

On 04/03/2012 10:05 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
> On 04/03/2012 10:04 PM, Stefano Lattarini wrote:
>> OK, you've all made clear you have your sensible reasons to have the '.info'
>> files generated in the builddir in your use cases.  Since the actual change
>> required by automake to allow this is very small and safe, I'm ready to do
>> it (see attached patch, which I will push in a couple of days to 'master' if
>> there is no objection).
>>
>> But since I'm not yet ready to publish this new feature, I intend to make
>> it available only though the new, undocumented option named (literally)
>> "hack!info-in-builddir".  I hope this is acceptable to you.
>>
On a second though, by double-checking the existing code, I couldn't see how
the 'cygnus' option could possibly influence the location of the generated
info files -- and it turned out it didn't!  Despite what was documented in
the manual, the 'cygnus' option did *not* cause the generated '.info' files
to be placed in the builddir (see attached test case).  This is true for at
least for automake 1.9.6, 1.10.3, 1.11.1, 1.11.4, and automake built from
the master branch (I've checked them all).  Since nobody ever complained
about such a breakage, I conclude that the feature was not truly needed, and
I'm thus withdrawing my previous patch.

Regards,
  Stefano