Subject: Re: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

From: Ian Lance Taylor <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 14:10:03 -0700

Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Anyway the real use in the src tree is different, IIUC.
>> Info files are built in the build tree by developers, but put in the
>> source tree for distribution.
>>
> In such a setup, what is the issue with having the '.info' files built
> in the srcdir?  It's not like the developers will develop with a
> read-only source tree, right?

There are many different people who build gcc from snapshots, not
releases, for various different reasons.  It would be good if those
people could continue to build from a read-only source directory.  It
would be good if those people could get .info files appropriate to their
source code.  Of course releases should continue to contain .info files.

We do not want .info files to be part of source code control for
development, but we do want them to be part of source code control for
releases.  That means that there is no correct setting for svn:ignore or
whatever.  This can be worked around, it's just a minor pain.

Ian