Subject: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 14:19:04 -0600

>>>>> "Stefano" == Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:

Stefano> It should still be possible, with the right hack (which is
Stefano> tested in the testsuite, and required by other packages
Stefano> anyway).  The baseline is: if you don't want your '.info' files
Stefano> to be distributed, then it should be easily possible to have
Stefano> them built in the builddir; but if you want them distributed,
Stefano> they will be built in the srcdir.

Now I am confused.  Is it possible to continue to work the way it does
today, or not?

If so, then great.

If not, then we need some other plan.

Tom> But, I see that, according to the Automake manual, I am wrong about that.

Stefano> Weird, I didn't expect that hack to be documented in the
Stefano> manual...  And in fact I cannot find it.  Could you please
Stefano> point me to it?  Thanks.

    http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Cygnus

"Info files are always created in the build directory, and not in the
source directory. Packages that don't use the cygnus option can emulate
this effect by using the no-installinfo option and listing the generated
info files in the CLEANFILES variable. "

Re-reading the suggestion here, I can't understand how it would work.

Anyway the real use in the src tree is different, IIUC.
Info files are built in the build tree by developers, but put in the
source tree for distribution.

Tom