Subject: bug#11034: Binutils, GDB, GCC and Automake's 'cygnus' option

From: Tom Tromey <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 08:25:22 -0600

>>>>> "Stefano" == Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]> writes:

Stefano> Note there's nothing I'm planning to do, nor I should do, in
Stefano> this regard: the two setups described above are both already
Stefano> supported by the current automake implementation (but the last
Stefano> one is not encouraged, even though it makes perfect sense in
Stefano> some *rare* situations).  I was just pointing out that you have
Stefano> to choose one of these setups -- so, if you want to distribute
Stefano> info files, you must accept to have them build in the srcdir.

Or we can just stick with an older version of automake.
It seems to me that this is the sensible approach.

Or move to some other build system; either autogen-based or just
requiring GNU make features.  The latter is fine for GCC but I'm not
sure whether all the src projects are on board.

I'm pretty disappointed that automake would make this change.  I realize
these choices may (arguably) make the most sense for most projects, but
the gcc and src trees are not like most projects; and really the whole
'cygnus' feature is there just to support these two big users.

Tom