Subject: Re: bug#11032: 24.0.94; illegible mode-line text (in dark themes?)

From: Richard Copley <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 13:44:41 +0100

On 3 June 2012 15:38, Chong Yidong <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Richard Copley <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Some faces are illegible if used on the mode-line when the default
>> background is dark but the mode line background is light. (Or at
>> least, this can happen in a dark theme.)
>>
>> For example (from emacs -Q):
>>
>> Set the theme to "tsdh-dark".
>> M-x compile RET M-n dir RET # "dir" should succeed
>> C-x o                       # activate *Compilation*
>
> Thanks for the bug report.  I have defined some new faces for
> compilation messages on the mode line, and tweaked the default face
> attributes and the built-in themes so that these messages are legible on
> the mode-line.

[Re-sending with the appropriate cc: line, and with apologies to Chong
Yidong for the duplicate email.]

Thank you. In the tsdh-dark theme, the successful exit status is now
much more legible on an active mode line. However, it is much less
legible on an inactive mode line. The rest of the mode line text (in
grey on grey) is also hard to read. I really think the bug is that the
wrong light-/dark-background version of the face is chosen, and no
amount of compromise with face colours will fix that. (Perhaps it
could be made a convention that a dark-background theme must have a
dark-background mode-line?)