Subject: Re: bug#11026: 23.3; call-process-region deletes unicode chars

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:57:22 +0200

> From: Sean McLaughlin <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 12:07:55 -0400
> 
> Create a buffer called 'bug' with multi-byte chars.  For example, with
> the contents
> 
> Alpha = α
> 
> Run (call-process-region (point-min) (point-max) "cat" t t) in that
> buffer.  It deletes the non-ascii unicode chars and leaves everything
> else intact.

This is not a bug, but a cockpit error.

You need to bind coding-process-for-write to something sensible, like
utf-8.  Otherwise, `cat' will get unpredictable sequence of bytes
instead of the Unicode character, and will respond with another
unpredictable sequence.

I think this bug report should be closed.