Subject: Re: bug#11017: 24.0.94; emacs-lock--kill-emacs-query-functions should ding

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 00:02:59 +0100

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Looking at this again -- this is really `emacs-lock-mode'?
> `lock-buffer' does something completely unrelated.

Indeed.  We were never discussing `lock-buffer', this is all about
`emacs-lock-mode'.

> But this is a minor mode, so the prefix arg is taken.

It is also already taken to set the "locking mode"... ;-)

> We could add a `emacs-lock-set-reason' command, but...  would anybody
> use that?

I would not, this would be too distracting.  Using the prefix arg of
the mode function, or a function in the mode hook that would
prompt automatically would be better.

But I still think the feature is useful in general.  When I'm getting
distracted by some other stuff, I want to know why I had locked that
buffer that prevents me from exiting.

> I've never used `emacs-lock-mode', so I don't know what people er would
> use it for.

I'm testing master for a long time now so I don't rely on locking
currently.  Locks don't survive crashes.

People don't use it because it's not really cool.

Michael.