Subject: Re: bug#11017: 24.0.94; emacs-lock--kill-emacs-query-functions should ding

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 02:11:22 +0100

Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> writes:

> > "Buffer %S is locked and cannot be killed"
>
> Really? I get "Emacs cannot exit because buffer %S is locked".

Sorry - I copied the wrong string.

>> [...] So, there should be a (ding) to attract the user's attention.
>
> A ding is obnoxious to many people.

That's why I think it's appropriate here ;-)

> It could be added as an option, but it is not really necessary IMHO.

I would appreciate such an option (what do others think?).

> Getting into the habit of typing without reading what Emac is saying
> is dangerous because you can end typing Y to a question you would've
> rather said N...

Right, no doubt.  Nevertheless, it may happen if you lack in
concentration at the end of your work...  I don't want to argue, we
obviously disagree.  I wrote this report because I thought others could
have the same wish.  Dunno if that's the case.

BTW: I wrote this some time ago:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/emacs-lock+.el

(Didn't adopt it for Emacs 24 yet.)

I wrote it mainly because of these two features:

  - when exiting Emacs, and there is a locked buffer, pop it up (because
    it's very likely that the user will want to see it next)

  - Optionally, let the user enter a short note of why he has locked the
    buffer.  Print this when the user tries to kill the buffer/ Emacs.
    Helpful as reminder for people who run Emacs for several days.

Maybe you find these useful, dunno - I don't mind if not.

Regards,

Michael.