Subject: bug#11016: 24.0.94; Right-to-left GUI

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 19:01:25 +0200

[email-masked] (Per Starbäck) writes:

> Using a locale with right-to-left writing, for example
>
>   LANG=ar_EG.utf8 src/emacs-24.0.94.1 -Q
>
> I get the menu-bar and the tool-bar in the reverse direction, that is
> with the Help menu on the left and the File menu on the right, for
> example.
> This is a GTK thing. At least with  ./configure --with-x-toolkit=motif
>  it's not like this.
>
> If emacs was localized with non-English menus this would be good, but
> since these things are in English anyway I think it only looks
> strange.
> (Also the mirroring affects the meanings of the values left and right
> for tool-bar-position.)

(I'm going through old Emacs bug reports that unfortunately got no
response at the time.)

I agree that it looks a bit odd -- but what do right-to-left users
expect in these instances?  To have the "most important" menu to the
right or to the left?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no