Subject: bug#1100: 23.0.60; variable-pitch face corruption when Helvetica Type 1 font installed

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 10:15:24 +0100 (BST)

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

When I installed a CVS build of Emacs for Windows 32 I found that the
splash screen had corrupted fonts. Further investigation revealed that
removing the Helvetica Type 1 PostScript font from my font folder made the
issue go away (presumably because it has fallen through to Arial).

Screenshot when Helvetica installed:

http://www.muppetlabs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/emacs/emacs_corrupted.png

Screenshot when Helvetica not installed:

http://www.muppetlabs.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/emacs/emacs_not_corrupted.png

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-09-27 on LENNART-69DE564
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4) --no-opt --cflags
-Ic:/g/include -fno-crossjumping'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <se
nd-emacs-bug-report>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a. [2 times]
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item
call-interactively: Text is read-only [2 times]