Subject: 24.0.94; Splash screen causes first character to beep with emacsclient

From: Aaron Meurer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 18:07:35 -0600

See the discussion at
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2012-03/msg00079.html.
When starting emacsclient, sometimes, the first character I type would
not enter the character, but rather beep the screen.  I did a lot of
debugging of this, discovering that it does not happen with emacs -Q,
but removing all of my init files did not solve the problem.

Finally, I discovered that the problem is the splash screen.  If I start
the emacs daemon with --no-splash, the problem goes away.  It appears
that somehow the splash screen is taking the first keypress from
emacsclient, even though the buffer that is visible is the one for the
file I opened.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.3.0)
 of 2012-03-11 on Aaron-Meurer.local
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-x=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  flyspell-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-subword-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  cua-mode: t
  predictive-which-dict-mode: t
  global-auto-complete-mode: t
  auto-complete-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  auto-fill-mode: 1
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
O C ESC O A ESC O A ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B
ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C RET C-g ESC O B
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A
ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O B ESC O B ESC
O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B ESC O B
ESC O B ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C ESC O C RET RET ESC
O A ESC O A ESC O A ESC O B ESC e ESC O A ESC O A ESC
O A ESC [ M SPC g 3 ESC [ M # g 3 ESC [ M SPC g 3 ESC
[ M # g 3 ESC [ M SPC ` 1 ESC [ M # ` 1 ESC [ M SPC
` 1 ESC [ M # ` 1 ESC [ M SPC g 7 ESC [ M # g 7 ESC
[ M SPC g 7 ESC [ M # g 7 ESC [ M SPC % 4 ESC [ M #
% 4 ESC [ M SPC H ( ESC [ M # H ( y e s RET q ESC [
M SPC Q / ESC [ M # Q / q ESC x r e p o TAB r TAB
RET

Recent messages:
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
Creating customization items...
Creating customization items ...done
Resetting customization items...done
Creating customization setup...done
widget-choose: Canceled
Saving file /Users/aaronmeurer/Documents/dotfiles/.emacs...
Wrote /Users/aaronmeurer/Documents/dotfiles/.emacs [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
~/Documents/predictive/pos-tip hides ~/.emacs.d/lisp/pos-tip
~/.emacs.d/lisp/mwheel hides /Users/aaronmeurer/Documents/emacs/lisp/mwheel
~/Documents/predictive/avl-tree hides /Users/aaronmeurer/Documents/emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/avl-tree

Features:
(rmail mail-hist epa-mail epa epg epg-config add-log mule-util mailalias
mailclient shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils info debug sh-script executable
multi-isearch browse-url semantic/wisent/python semantic/db-mode
semantic/decorate/include semantic/db-find semantic/db-ref semantic/db
eieio-base semantic/decorate/mode semantic/tag-ls semantic/decorate
pulse semantic/ctxt semantic/dep semantic/wisent/python-wy
semantic/wisent semantic/wisent/wisent python-21 python rst compile
comint ansi-color ring image sgml-mode newcomment find-func ebnf2ps
ps-print ps-def lpr tool-bar cus-edit wid-edit apropos help-mode view
markdown-mode derived thingatpt noutline outline easy-mmode server
regexp-opt flyspell warnings saveplace time-date 1am-theme paren subword
linum cua-base cus-start cus-load highlight-indentation isearch+
predictive-html auto-overlay-flat predictive-texinfo predictive-latex
predictive-auto-overlay-auto-dict auto-overlay-nested auto-overlay-self
auto-overlay-line auto-overlay-word predictive ispell timerfunctions
auto-overlays auto-overlay-common dict-tree trie tNFA queue heap
avl-tree semantic/util-modes easymenu semantic/util semantic
semantic/tag semantic/lex semantic/fw eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp mode-local cedet completion-ui-sources
completion-ui-menu completion-ui-tooltip completion-ui-echo
completion-ui-hotkeys completion-ui-dynamic completion-ui-popup-frame
completion-ui preview-latex tex-site auto-loads auto-complete-config
auto-complete popup pos-tip flymake-cursor cl disp-table mouse xt-mouse
edmacro kmacro advice help-fns advice-preload ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
multi-tty emacs)