Subject: 24.0.94; Uncompressing files

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:23:11 +0100

Hi,

I am on a MS Windows 7 OS.  All the GNU/Unix-like tools that I
currently have/need come from a MinGW/MSYS installation.

I've tried the "Z" command from a dired buffer (to compress a file).
The compression goes well, but when I try to uncompress the same file,
I get the error message: "Searching for program: no such file or
directory, gunzip".

However:
* I can visit the compressed file, which implies an implicit
uncompression.  So if Emacs is able to uncompress the file in this
case, why does it fail in other cases?
* If I open a cmd.exe console and do "gzip -d my_file", the file is
uncompressed without problems.

The docstring of the "Z" command says nothing about customizing the
way of performing the uncompression, and the current way doesn't work
for me.  So I'd like to ask for (a) a better way of finding the
uncompression utility and (b) a way of customizing the command to
perform the uncompression.

TIA.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-03-07 on DANI-PC
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --enable-checking'

-- 
Dani Moncayo