Subject: bug#10990: 24.0.94; Uncompressing files

From: Achim Gratz <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 18:58:59 +0100

Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]> writes:
> BTW, I tried to copy "gzip.exe" as "gunzip.exe" as you suggested, but
> it doesn't work, because Emacs invokes "gunzip" without "-d"
> (obviously), so it doesn't work.

It does not need to and you don't seem to understand how that is
supposed to work.  If gzip gets invoked as gunzip, then it automatically
infers the "-d" switch.  Which is why usually a symbolic link gunzip ->
gzip is sufficient.  Only that you are running on Windows and Windows
doesn't have symbolic links.  MSys has them, but Windows applications
know nothing about that.

> What happens it that, IMHO, the right solution in this case would be
> to modify Emacs so that the command for uncompression would be
> configurable, because in this case, the default configuration is not
> the right one.

MSys tries to provide a POSIX layer on Windows.  NTemacs tries to
provide it's usual functionality in the absence of such layer.  The two
don't fully mix, in the same way that Cygwin and NTemacs don't.  The
solution is to stay in one world or the other or learn to live with
the roughness around the edges.

> No.  I have installed the standard MinGW/MSYS distribution, which has
> support for uncompressing files.

Well, then look up again where you pick up "gunzip" along your path.
I'm reasonably sure that Windows finds something else instead of the
gunzip.exe you just copied in MSys' /usr/bin (like gunzip, without any
suffix?).

Regards,
Achim.
-- 
+<[Q+ Matrix-12 WAVE#46+305 Neuron microQkb Andromeda XTk Blofeld]>+

Waldorf MIDI Implementation & additional documentation:
http://Synth.Stromeko.net/Downloads.html#WaldorfDocs