Subject: Re: bug#1099 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#1099: 23.0.60; Various eshell files need cl at compile time for `assert')

From: Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:28:27 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: bug#1099: 23.0.60; Various eshell files need cl at compile time for `assert'
> To: [email-masked]
> Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 03:42:03 -0400
> User-Agent: Gnus (www.gnus.org), GNU Emacs (www.gnu.org/software/emacs/)
>
> Sven Joachim wrote:
>
>> A recent message¹ on help-gnu-emacs showed eshell failing because
>> `assert' is not defined.  
>
> Unreproducible.

I had the same problem, though.  It went away after bootstrapping.

>>There are no less than six eshell files which use this macro without
>>requiring cl at compile time. The following patch takes care of this:
>
> I don't think there is a real problem here, because cl is brought in
> through other requires,

It isn't.  When I byte-compiled the affected files manually, I got a
warning that `assert' is not known to be defined.  Maybe you have cl
loaded in your environment?

> nevertheless for the sake of clarity I have
> installed your patch.

Thanks.

Sven