Subject: bug#10980: GNU bugs information: logs for bug#10980

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2016 11:26:04 -0400

On Wed, Jun 29, 2016 at 11:15 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
>> And getenv would have to be modified to consult Emacs'
>> environment so that that (expand-file-name "~") and (getenv "HOME")
>> give the same values.
>
> C 'getenv' or Lisp 'getenv'?

Sorry, I meant Lisp getenv.

>> But it seems we would then need 2 sets of functions: getenv/setenv and
>> get-subproc-env/set-subproc-env (the latter working on
>> Vprocess_environment only). This feels like a complication with not
>> much benefit.
>
> We already have that: there's 'getenv' and 'egetenv' on the C level.
> And the Lisp 'setenv' is already documented to modify
> process-environment.  So I'm not sure I see the problem

What about a lisp program that expects (expand-file-name "~") and
(getenv "HOME") to give the same results after running (setenv "HOME"
<whatever>)