Subject: bug#10980: GNU bugs information: logs for bug#10980

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2016 20:23:26 -0400

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 12:40 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I don't think we want to have environment-related functions that are
> specific to Windows, that goes against the goal of portability of
> Emacs packages.
>
> I'm okay with considering patches specific to w32 that would eliminate
> the need for pushing variables into the environment of subprocesses,
> and/or leave initial-environment unaffected by the pushed values

How about splitting apart initialization of Vinitial_environment and
Vprocess_environment and moving the former earlier so that it's
unaffected by Emacs' manipulations of the environment? See attached
patch.

> I guess you refer to the fact that msysgit uses $USERPROFILE as the
> alternative home directory if $HOME is not set?  If so, I'd rather
> suggest to report a bug to msysgit maintainers: they are behaving
> against platform recommendations.
[...]
> If you look in the $USERPROFILE directory on a typical Windows
> machine, you won't see there any sub-directory or file created by an
> application, only a few standard sub-directories.  Applications do
> generally follow the above recommendations; for example, I have
> Firefox installed, which keeps my customizations in
> $APPDATA/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/.  So Git is the odd one out if it
> puts its ~/.gitconfig file in $USERPROFILE.

To me it makes sense to have $HOME map to $USERPROFILE, and $APPDATA
is like $XDG_CONFIG_HOME (usually ~/.config/ on GNU/Linux). However,
this is purely subjective as there are no platform recommendations
about translating environment variables to other platforms.