Subject: Problem with `split-window-keep-point' set to `nil'

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2012 22:12:54 +0100

Recipe:

0. emacs -Q
1. M-: (setq split-window-keep-point nil) RET
2. Visit the attached file.
3. C-x 2

The point in the original (top) window has moved (unnecessarily) from
the first line to the last visible one.

The docstring of the variable `split-window-keep-point' says:

 If non-nil, C-x 2 preserves point in the new window.
 If nil, adjust point in the two windows to minimize redisplay.
 [...]

But in this case there was no need to adjust point, because it was in
a position which would remain visible after the splitting.

This behavior is specially annoying if you are in a Dired buffer and
do `C-o' on a file (the point jumps to the last visible line).

-- 
Dani Moncayo