Subject: bug#10960: linum-mode does not work properly when changing font size

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 17:06:06 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:38:57 -0500
> 
> > Ping!  Stefan, could you please explain your response?
> 
> I'm not sure what to explain about it.
> 
> >> I don't understand Stefan's response in that bug: what effect exactly
> >> are text-scale-* functions supposed to produce?  Should the text in
> 
> Increase the size of the text, without increasing the size of the text
> area.

OK, let me ask specific questions then:

 . should the font of the text shown in the margin area change to the
   same size as the font of the text shown in the text area?

 . if the answer to the previous question is YES, then should Emacs
   automatically make sure the margin areas adjust their pixel width
   to keep the same number of character cells as specified by the
   set-window-margins command?