Subject: bug#10952: 24.0.94; ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on no longer working

From: Burton Samograd <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 19:58:15 -0700

I recently pulled from git on March 5, 2012 and the resulting emacs
binary does not handle ansi-color-for-comint-mode.  With
(ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on) in my .emacs file, running M-x shell
causes escape sequences to be printed rather than the normal colors.
Running emacs -q and then manually doing M-x
ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on also shows this problem.

In GNU Emacs 24.0.94.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.6)
 of 2012-03-05 on newton
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_CA.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: rcirc

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  use-hard-newlines: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: (only . t)

Recent input:
a v i o u r SPC : - / <return> i SPC m e a n t SPC 
t o SPC s <backspace> d a y s , SPC <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> s a 
y , SPC d o e s n ' t SPC c o l o r SPC m y SPC s h 
e l l SPC b u f f e r <return> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
i t SPC j u s t SPC s h o w s SPC e x c <backspace> 
s <backspace> <backspace> s c a p e s SPC a r o u n 
d SPC t h e SPC t h i n g SPC <backspace> s SPC t h 
a t SPC s h o u l d SPC b e SPC c o l o r s <backspace> 
e d <return> <switch-frame> C-x k RET y e s <return> 
C-x b <return> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> 
<switch-frame> C-s s l i m e M-x s l i m e <return> 
<help-echo> <switch-frame> <switch-frame> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <switch-frame> C-x 3 M-; M-; 
<switch-frame> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-movement> <mouse-movement> 
<drag-mouse-1> <switch-frame> y e s , SPC i SPC s t 
i l l SPC g e t SPC t h e SPC e s c SPC s e q u e n 
e c <backspace> <backspace> c e s SPC w h e n SPC i 
SPC d o SPC a n SPC e m a c s SPC - q SPC w i t h o 
u t SPC a n s i SPC <backspace> - c o l o r <return> 
M-x b u g <tab> <tab> <tab> C-g M-x e <backspace> r 
e p o <tab> r <tab> b u <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Mark set
No match
Mark saved where search started
Polling "/tmp/slime.5989".. (Abort with `M-x slime-abort-connection'.) [7 times]
Connecting to Swank on port 34462..
Connected. Hacks and glory await!
Auto-saving...
Making completion list...
Quit
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug eldoc rcirc shell pcomplete time w3m-cookie w3m-search
mule-util w3m-form w3m-bookmark w3m-tabmenu w3m-session ffap apropos
smiley gnus-dup help-mode view shr-color color shr gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table multi-isearch rfc2104 mailalias smtpmail
sendmail mail-extr sort gnus-cite nndraft nnmh nnfolder utf-7
network-stream auth-source eieio assoc starttls nnimap parse-time tls
utf7 netrc gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime password-cache
dig mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail
mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems nnheader gnus-util mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr w3m doc-view
jka-compr dired image-mode timezone w3m-hist w3m-fb bookmark-w3m w3m-ems
wid-edit w3m-ccl ccl w3m-favicon w3m-image w3m-proc w3m-util warnings
slime-fancy slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-scratch slime-presentations slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-inspector
slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc advice advice-preload
slime-parse slime-repl slime byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp derived help-fns edmacro kmacro easy-mmode easymenu pp comint
regexp-opt ring hyperspec thingatpt browse-url cl paren ansi-color
server time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)