Subject: Re: bug#10946: 24.0.94; eval-after-load incompatible change

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 13:14:54 -0500

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> But note that after thinking some more about it, I noticed that it's
> called "eval-after-LOAD", so it makes sense that it should only work
> when LOADing a file.

Yes; but the doc in Emacs 23.4 says:

  Alternatively, FILE can be a feature (i.e. a symbol), in which case
  FORM is evaluated whenever that feature is `provide'd.

without explicitly saying "`provide'd from a file".

So IMO there should at least be a NEWS entry about this.

Isn't it possible to get the old behaviour back by changing the thing
that gets added to after-load-alist from:

(when load-file-name
   ...stuff...)

to

(if load-file-name
   ...stuff...
   ;; Not being provided from a file, run form right now.
   (form))