Subject: Re: bug#10945: Can't search through help menu.

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 22:48:27 -0400

severity 10945 wishlist
quit

Bartosz Duszel <[email-masked]> writes:

>>> 1. You can click mouse-1 in buffer `*Metahelp*' (the buffer you want
>>> to search).
>>> 
>>> 2. I guess we could define a key in the local map (the value of
>>> `helped-map' from `make-help-screen') that would switch to that
>>> buffer.
>
> After some more thinking I am not sure if this is the best approach.
>
> 1. After clicking mouse-1 in buffer `*Metahelp*’ you can easily search in this buffer but
> all the mapped keys doesn’t work at this point. You need to look for what you need in the buffer
> and run C-h ? once again.
>
> 2. Author of the bug highlighted that the current behaviour is not friendly. I am also not sure
> if adding another key just for changing the window is a good solution.
>
> At this point I do not know how we should handle this case.

IMO any key that isn't bound should fallback to its standard binding,
and the keys should only apply when the focus is in the minibuffer, like
other prompts (e.g., find-file).

In terms of implementation, I think this would mean binding the map only
in the minibuffer instead of using read-key-sequence.