Subject: bug#1094: 23.0.60; Emacs Default Font

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 18:18:03 -0400

> The menu item Options->Set Default Font shows:   Sans Regular 12
>
> My ~/.Xresources file is:
>
> Mozilla*font:fixed
> Firefox*font:fixed
> Emacs*font:fixed

Aha.  I think you'll find that the font you're seeing is

-sony-fixed-medium-r-normal--16-120-100-100-c-80-iso8859-1

or something like that.  I guess the problem is that there is more than
one font named "fixed" in the system.  Recently, Handa changed the "font
scoring" system which tells Emacs which font to use when there are
several possibilities.

To get the exact font you want, you can specify an xlfd name like
-misc-fixed-medium-r-*--13-*-*-*-*-*-*-*, or a fontconfig/GTK font name.
For instance,

Emacs*font:Monospace-10

works great for me.