Subject: bug#1092: compilation-goto-error goes to wrong location when buffer has hidden regions

From: John Wiegley <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2016 12:00:55 -0800

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> My only intention in this discussion is to try and saves us from someone
>> else ever trying to "fix" such bugs like you did. Instead we should always
>> reply with something like "if it hurts when you use selective-display=t,
>> then don't use it". Same applies for any other obsoleted feature.

> I understand your intention very well, but I don't agree with such a policy.
> I think as long as the feature is not deleted, we ought to fix bugs in it,
> unless the fix is very complex or could adversely affect other packages, or
> could cause some other complication. Bugs are not a vehicle for telling
> users not to use an obsolete feature. If we really want to remove a feature,
> we should just do that, after making sure there's a usable replacement.

I have to say I'm in complete agreement with Eli on this point. If it's code
that we'll ship, it deserves to be fixed like any other functionality we
deliver. If it's no longer to be fixed or maintained, it should be removed.
Delivering buggy code is not a sound deprecation strategy.

-- 
John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2